KEYLEMORE


KYLEMORE GOTHIC CHURCH bback.gif (2475 byte) harpth.gif (1856 byte)

Mitchell Hanry, a rich dealer of Manchester, bought the estate of Kylemore in Connemara in 1862 for 155.000 . He drained the mars here and built the palace in NeoGothic style. The building started in 1864 and it cost 250.000 . The Hanries lived there some years and Mitchell Hanry was Representative of County Galway from 1871 to 1885.

Near the palace, the architect S.F. Fuller built a church in Gothic style. The church is in limestone and it is a on scale reproduction of an English Gothic cathedral. After the tragic death of Mrs Hanry and of one of her daughters, Kylemore was sold. Now it is an Abbey of Benedictine Nuns and a girls college.