bback.gif (2475 byte) harpth.gif (1856 byte)

Kylemore Abbey Gothic Church (also known as the Memorial Church) was built by Mitchell Henry M. P. in memory of his beloved wife Margaret, who had died following an illness contracted while visiting Egypt in the year 1874.



This beautiful and finally detailed church was built during the years 1877 to 1881 for Mr. Henry, the owner and builder of Kylemore castle. The Gothic Church is a cathedral in miniature incorporating elements adapted from some of the great English cathedrals of the Decorated Era from 1180 to 1215.

The architect for the church was J. F. Fuller.