bback.gif (2475 byte)


mapdubth.gif (1972 byte)

Map harpth.gif (1856 byte)


 This is on the northern quays a half-mile (1 km) west of O'Connel Bridge. It was begun in 1786 from designs by Thomas Cooley, but on his death the work was completed by James Gandon. A magnificent building, it consists of a centre flanked by squares which are connected with the main building by rusticated arcades. The Corinthians portico supports an entablature with a statue of Moses and figures of Justice and Mercy.
Above the circular centre hall is a massive dome. The Four Courts was almost completely destroyed in the Civil War of the 1920s, but was later restored.