|Standing on high ground west of Dame Street, the castle was built between 1208 and 1220. The Upper Castle Yard covers roughly the area enclosed by the original walls. On the southern side are the State Apartments, once the residence of the English viceroys and now the venue for Ireland's presidencies of the European Community, for Irish presidential inauguration and other important state functions.|
the south-western corner of the enclosure is the Bermingham Tower, erected in the
fourteenth century and rebuilt in 1777.This tower was for long used as a prison.
In the Lower Castle Yard is the massive Record Tower. This, the largest visible fragment of the old Norman building, now houses the State Paper Office, a repository of historical documents. Also in the Lower Castle YARD is the Church of the Most Holy Trinity, formerly know as the Chapel Royal and built to the design of Francis Johnston between 1807 and 1814. Since 1943 this church has been in Catholic ownership.